Thursday, July 5, 2007

Patriotic Indulgence


The way to a college student's heart is through his or her stomach.

I'm not gonna lie. I was definitely guilty of overeating this 4th of July... but I figured in the spirit of our independence I would fully indulge in all the festivities. By the time the day was over and everything was set and done, I participated in an extensive breakfast, two food-filled BBQs, and multiple desserts- including my first authentic southern sweet potato pie.

I had a lovely time visiting some of Kalan's family for the 4th of July yesterday. We stayed in a little cabin on a lake in Holcome, Wisconsin. It was such a blessing to be welcomed into a home, eat homemade food (for the first time in what seemed like ages), and enjoy the beautiful scenery of rural Wisconsin.

By the time evening rolled around and BBQ number one and two had come and gone, we were all without a doubt unable to take another bite. In utter discomfort we sprawled down on any surface that was available... evidence of our shameful food consumption still in plain view for all to witness.

We needed rest from the eating.

There are various moments in life when I know I'm full and I forge ahead without restraint. This holiday was admittedly one that would certainly fall in this category. However, in retrospect I think that even though I made myself nearly sick because the irreverent amounts of food I consumed, it was definitely worth every bite.

1 comment:

ROD said...

I think the 4th of July is a bigger deal in other parts of the country, esp the south.
My Mom said when she was a little girl in the south that the 4th was their biggest holiday with melons, lemonaide, homemade icecream, hamburgers, etc. She said Christmas was no big deal just a nice dinner.
We did have a good time at Dan and Erin's this year here in Oregon...it was warm for once so lots of fun and the melons and icecream were a treat in the hot weather. Lin