Friday, October 24, 2008

Mad Poker Skills

Last night I worked at an espresso bar in Brussels called akaZOE. I have been volunteering there every week because it is run by YWAM, a local non-profit Christian organization. I have fun making a variety of coffee drinks, milkshakes, and other tasty beverages while different musicians and bands play live music on stage.

Yesterday we were pretty busy at one point. It is always fun to work when it is chaotic and there is a lot to do. I was working with a girl from Belgium named Helena and some of her friends came for the evening to hang out and play poker. I'm not being modest when I say that I am horrible at poker... but nevertheless I gave it my best effort. I wish that I could say I made my family and friends proud with my impressive poker skills, but sadly that is not one of my gifts.

I will say though that it is quite difficult to learn a card game in French and, on top of that, to attempt and play it with skill. I can't even begin to explain how many times I had no idea what was being said, while simultaneously nodding and smiling like I was following the conversation entirely. At this point, I can say with confidence that I have mastered the art of pretending that I know what's going on.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I have also been getting really good at that whole pretending thing haha. A lot of times I find myself smiling and nodding, and then just shaking my head and saying 'what are you saying!? Basically this happens ALL the time. You will see when you come here haha.