Thursday, October 16, 2008

Tervuren




Tervuren is a beautiful little town in the Flemish countryside. Gennie and I moved here at the beginning of October because it is a lot closer to her school. Every Friday morning there is a market in the square and the town is filled with the noise and hubbub of people doing their weekly shopping. Almost everything is closed on Sundays and Mondays.

Probably my favorite part of Tervuren is the park. It truly feels like I'm walking in a different time. there is a long line of lakes surrounded by forest. Each morning I try and take Percy for a walk or run around the lakes. Rain or shine there is a group of devoted old men from the village sitting together with fishing poles in hand. Of all the times I have gone past them only once have I seen someone actually catch anything. It ended up being a five minute fiasco of slowly and gently pulling the fish out of the water and finally capturing it into the net. The man looked at his friends for congratulations and proceeded to throw the large fish back into the water. Maybe this particular fish wasn't good for eating, or maybe catch and release fishing is his tactic. Either way, I liked that he threw the fish back in.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Post some more pictures! I really want to see your place! You have to come back after Christmas so I can visit you in the spring! :)