Saturday, November 29, 2008

Germany






Yesterday, my friend Megan and I spent the day in Germany. We left in the morning to go to Aachen, a German town near the border of Belgium. I heard a few weeks ago that Germany is known for their amazing Christmas markets so I knew that this was not something to miss!

The train ride was an hour and a half and when we got to Aachen we were ready to see the infamous market. It wasn't long before we heard music and saw the bustle of people. Literally we turned a corner and the sight was incredible. Lights lined the streets and thousands of people were enjoying the shops and Christmas festivities.


It was funny because my stereotype of Germans and their love for beer and bratwurst was pretty accurate! The crowds of people did not deter anyone from holding their gigantic sausage dogs in one hand and a hefty beverage in the other. The smells were spectacular. Crêpes with nutella, fresh gingerbread, and other goodies were being sold by the hundreds. Little stores were filled with fresh chocolates and cookies that were packaged beautifully for the Holidays.

The Christmas Spirit in Germany was alive and well and I would highly recommend it!





1 comment:

Lisa said...

Man the Christmas Markets were so awesome! What did you think of the German language?? I was reminded that while I studied it quite a bit in college, that I have LOST all of it haha! It is hard to keep up with!