Wednesday, September 3, 2008

C'est la vie!


These past several days have flown by!

On Monday and Tuesday Gennie and I ran all over town to get our apartment ready for the new school year that is quickly approaching. Brussels is decadently mapped out with superior public transport... the envy of every environmentally-friendly American. Buses, underground metros, and trams cover the city so that every nook and cranny can be explored by travelers and citizens alike. Gennie, a native of Brussels for years, promises me that within days I will be fluent in this seemingly overwhelming system of transportation.

Last night Gennie spent over an hour mapping out every bus number, underground, and tram that I may need during my time in Brussels (color coded stickers and artistic drawings included). My dreams of not taking anymore tests after finishing my nursing boards quickly faded as I realized that at any time Gennie will be quizzing me on what tram number I need to get home from le Grand Place or Artsloi!

On Monday, in the midst of buying new school clothes, tram passes, and phone cards, we found the time to stop at a cafe for a delicious Belgian lunch. Small, rod iron tables and chairs line almost every cobblestone abbey so that a short, mid-day lunch break can be taken by the deserving customer. Whether with friends or completely solo, people here find the time in the middle of the day to stop whatever they are doing and sit to enjoy a glass of wine and sandwich before finishing their day of work. Gennie and I enjoyed delicious mushroom, cheese, and tomato paninis as we watched the waves of people shopping and strolling about le Rue Neuve.

At home, people are astounded when I enlighten them that I grew up in a house built in 1917. Old buildings are hard to come by, preserved and even turned into museums in some cases. I am surprised by the nonchalant attitudes with which many people here pass by an exceptional piece of history that must have a fascinating story behind it.

1 comment:

Lin said...

Thank you for the lovely intro to Belgium. Is the weather still nice there? We are back up to the 80's after a cooler than average Labor Day weekend.
Thanks again for keeping us "in your pocket" Lin