Monday, September 8, 2008

L'Abbey de la Cambre





As I mentioned before, there is a stunning Abbey directly across the street from our apartment. It is beautifully situated in the middle of the city as a little oasis amongst all of the cars, people, and noise. Church bells ring upon the hour as people go about their day-to-day activities. The Abbey was originally built in the 13th century as a Cistercian sanctuary where Catholic monks lived. It was later rebuilt in the 18th century after many of the buildings were destroyed by various wars. The Abbey is now a visual arts college.

Another wonderful aspect of living in Ixelles (the district in which my apartment lies) is the Belgian version of Greenlake that sits down the street from me. There are two lakes right next to the Abbey that are surrounded by a small dirt path for those who want to take a leisurely stroll with their dog or even a quick run when they are feeling particularly motivated. Trees line the water and men and women sprawl out on the green grass that surrounds the lakes.

Yesterday, with Percy in one hand and my book in the other, I set out to do some reading on the grass next to the Abbey. For the past several days the weather has been magnificent and I have enjoyed the sun streaming into my window, waking me in the most radiant and ideal way.

2 comments:

Libby said...

My darling friend! I am only just getting around to reading your wonderful blog (no internet in the CO mountains, and then wisdom extraction...) I am so happy that you are in a beautiful place with a dear companion :-) I will be doing my darndest to come play with you in Brussels!!! xoxo Lib

Cori said...

Hey, I love the apartment; can I move in? I hope you are having a wonderful time! Have enough adventure for all of us back here! Totally jealous but incredibly happy for you; enjoy! Love, Cori