Monday, September 15, 2008

Why not Mix Sightseeing with Business?





I woke up this morning with one goal - to get a visa. It seems simple, however, the rules, regulations, and loopholes that a government can create are altogether overwhelming.

There is something called the Schengen agreement. This set of laws was created as a way to control borders throughout Europe. Almost all European countries participate in the Schengen agreement; the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Switzerland are just several countries among the handful that do not.

As a citizen of the United States, I can travel throughout the Schengen countries without a visa for up to 90 days within a sixth month period. After my 90 days have passed, I am illegal in most of Europe. Clearly, this morning's endeavor was of great importance.

My first stop was the Belgian embassy: Rue de la Loi 61-63. How hard could it be? After I got off of the metro I looked at the long road that was clearly marked Rue de la Loi. This was a good sign. My next hurdle was finding building 61-63. You would think that an address would be in chronological order down the street. After asking two people where I might find this address, without success, I finally asked a businessman if he might possibly know what direction I should go. This delightful man took me under his wing and brought me to an official looking building with flags and banners hanging everywhere. He told me he was from Greece and that it was essential to visit his country while in Europe. Unfortunately, when he found out that I was in search of visa information he apologetically told me that this in fact was not the right building and that I must walk to the end of Rue de la Loi to where another Belgian government building was located. We said our goodbyes and off we went in our different directions.

I quickly located the correct building. After talking to a nice Belgian woman, she scribbled some street names and numbers on a small piece of paper and said that I must go to this address to inquire about visas.

Two metro stops later I found myself at Gare Central. I went up to the information desk and asked in French where I might find this address. In a slur of French the old man behind the counter explained my next set of instructions. All I caught was "Bus 71, two stops and there it will be."

Okay. By now I am feeling like I am on a wild goose chase. I have been searching for the Belgian consulate for 2 hours now. If I hadn't been reinforced with kindness throughout my journey I may have given up long ago. On I persevered.

At this point I think, I might as well enjoy the scenery on this self-guided tour of Brussels. So I jumped on Bus 71 and in two stops I found myself staring at the Royal Family's Palace. This is a picturesque detour. I decide to walk around the Royal Gardens and enjoy the beauty of the day. Then a serendipitous sign catches my eye. Brussels Information Center. This is like music to my ears. Thankfully, a nice girl pulls out a map and highlights the exact route I am to take. Within several minutes I am on the right street. I walk faster with anticipation.

I then go into a big building, Belgian flags flying proudly in the cool breeze. Two women direct me to a telephone and I chat to someone about my hopes of getting a visa.

After a long morning of searching throughout the streets of Belgium to inquire about a visa, my hopes are shattered as I am told that there is absolutely no way to get a visa unless I am in my home country. I have to apply in the United States and if I am lucky, there may be a small chance that I can get a visa to stay longer than the alloted 90 days.

While out and about in Brussels I managed to take several pictures. They are in order of my adventure, beginning with the back of the palace, a sculpture in the Palace gardens, the front of the palace, and finally the Belgain Consulate.

2 comments:

Lin said...

Poor Gitta! Such a pilgrim in a strange country! But, you did get around and learn a lot. Hope you ended your day with a good supper and some tea!
I think the Greek was right. I have heard fabulous things about Greece, esp the melons, vegtables, and buying gold jewelry. Love Lin

Libby said...

so, do you get to apply for a visa via your mom in the states? or do you have to present yourself and all your paper work wherever there may be a Belgian embassy or whatever in the US? Are you just going to stay through Christmas? How are you? How's french language classes? I love you. Goodbye.