Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Market



I awkwardly attempt to calculate what 2.50 euro/kg means as I frantically pull out my middle school math skills. Somehow, my shopping experiences are extremely humbling adventures as I realize that I have to relearn everything I know to coexist with the locals.

Each Wednesday afternoon a vibrant market is held in the Chatelaine Square, right off of Avenue Louise in Brussels. Vendors set out luscious produce and delicacies that they have been preparing for the past week.

Despite it being a health inspector's nightmare, this market is one of the most authentic experiences in the city. Little old men gather as they do their weekly shopping to buy their favorite cuts of meat from the butcher while their wives pick out fresh fruits and vegetables. Mothers and children make their rounds, picking out special treats and gorgeous breads from the bakeries.

Even though the unspoken rules and expectations that exist in other cultures can be overwhelming at times, it is quite refreshing to witness the lovely display of community and camaraderie... not to mention, how the exquisite arrangements of oranges, reds, greens, and yellows brighten the day.

No comments: